Meharry IT Help Desk:
About the Meharry IT Help Desk and Procedures:
The help desk is a function of the Office of Information Technology for assisting internal and external customers with their computing problems. The help desk serves as an integral part of the OIT Department by offering a single, central point of contact to customers for reporting hardware, software, network and telecommunications problems. The hours of operation for the help desk are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM (Central Time).
How to Contact the Meharry IT Help Desk:
Internally: Ext. 4357 (help)
Among the services that the help desk provides include:
- Support for computer hardware and software problems (includes communications and networking components).
- Support for both PC and Mac.
- Best effort response on “how to” questions from users on the operation of computer hardware and software applications.
- Centralized dispatch of technicians for repair and maintenance of computer hardware owned by Meharry.
- Centralized dispatch of application personnel for software applications issues.
- Centralized dispatch of telecommunications personal for any telephony issues or requests.
- Coordination with relocating and moving of computer hardware (PCs, printers, network cabling, etc.).
- Coordination with relocating and moving of telephone and/or voice mail (moves, adds and changes).
- Computer, laptop and related equipment quotes.
- Logging, tracking, and follow up of user-reported problems.
- Printer and fax support.
- Email support.
- Password support.
- Mobile phone set up support.
Upon calling the help desk with a problem or request, you should expect to talk to someone who will either answer your questions, record your request by creating a work order and, if needed assign it to another support technician, or applications analyst. In the event that all technicians are on other calls, we encourage you to leave a voice mail with your name and phone number, along with what your issue is and a technician will call you back within 24 hours. A work order is generated from all calls and emails to the help desk and the user should expect an email that contains a work order number. Depending on the type of problem, you should expect someone to contact you in a timely manner upon receiving your request. We will do our best to ensure that most problems are resolved within 48 hours, depending upon resources and scheduling. If the problem will exceed this time frame, the help desk will work with you to create a time frame that will be acceptable for both the help desk and the user.
It is imperative that you contact the help desk for all IT related support. If not, we have no means of tracking the successful resolution or the status of your issue.