Here’s what to do:
- Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap Add Account… under Accounts.
- Select Other, and then, Mail Account. DO NOT select Gmail.
- Use imap.gmail.com as incoming server and smtp.gmail.com as outgoing server. Put in your entire gmail address and password in both incoming and outgoing Server settings.
- Go back to iPad home and start up the Mail app. Once it connects and downloads mail for the first time, go back to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Select the new mail account you just created, scroll down, and tap Advanced.
- Select Drafts Mailbox > On the Server > Drafts. Return to the Advanced view.
- Select Sent Mailbox > On the Server > Sent Mail. Return to the Advanced view.
- Select Deleted Mailbox > On the Server > Deleted Messages
- Back all the way out and hit Done.
Set up this way, your iPad will now store also Drafts and Sent Mail in Gmail instead of only storing it locally.
Deleted mails will go into the archives under the “Deleted Messages” label, but they will still be searcheable and will not automatically be deleted like messages in “Trash” are.
Alternatively, you can set up your iPhone or iPad to talk to Google using ActiveSync (Exchange). I’ve been doing this for awhile now, and it’s been working perfectly